Friday, February 3, 2012

Woman Dies After Allergic Reaction To Hair Extensions

Beauty is a pastime most women share, but sometimes it can be fatally dangerous if we are not safe. We are sad to report that Atasha Graham, a 34-year-old Jamaican-born housewife who lived in England, died after suffering a major allergic reaction triggered by glue from her hair extensions.

After a night out on the town with her boyfriend, Graham collapsed, stopped breathing and could not regain consciousness. She was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead. Doctors surmised the hair glue or latex weave was the cause of her death after an autopsy revealed nothing was wrong with her organs and no toxins were present in her bloodstream.

Although this is the first time I’ve heard of this kind of tragedy, Home Office pathologist Doctor Michael Heath says death by hair extension occurs more than you think:

“I’ve seen cases where people using solvent to apply hair extensions has actually caused anaphylactic shock. There are about 10 to 20 deaths a year in this country, many more in America. I have seen four in the last three months.”

The reality of 10-20 deaths by hair glue or extensions a year is painfully frightening. We extend our deepest sympathies to the Graham family and hope that everyone out there continues to be safe when it comes to what goes in and out of the body.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment